Reports To: Director – Quality Assurance
ODG – Gear Division is a manufacturer of precision Gears, Shafts and Assemblies. We operate out of a 75,000 sq ft facility in New Hamburg, Ontario. ODG offers a climate-controlled environment, attractive benefits packages, and educational assistance for employees.
Join our Team.
ODG – Gear Division is currently recruiting for a Quality Engineer to join our Quality Assurance Department. Here at ODG our Quality Engineers act as the point of contact for customer quality. They are responsible for overseeing and managing the quality of precision machined components and assemblies for a portfolio of customers.
Successful candidates will have previous experience implementing inspection and other verification systems in order to ensure 100% quality of delivered parts. Candidates must have experience in root cause analysis of non-conforming parts along with the ability to define corrective actions to prevent non-conformances from reoccurring.
- Support customers by interacting with customer SQE’s, submitting reports through customer portals and responding to any escapes of non-conforming product and RMA requests.
- Manage non-conformances found in the production areas and in formal Inspection.
- Work with Engineering and Production to determine dispositions and rework plans for non-conforming parts.
- Determine the root cause of non-conformances and define corrective actions.
- Support new product introductions, including customer requirements such as GP-12 and Safe Launch
- Lead PPAP trials, document results and present to customers
- Generate quality documentation such as Control Plans, Sampling Plans, Quality Plans and PFMEA’s
- Define inspection processes, select inspection methods and perform gauge repeatability and reproducibility studies.
- Monitor non-conformance trends and propose systemic corrective actions.
- Perform statistical process control, calculate metrics such as Cpk and Ppk, evaluate the capability of manufacturing processes.
- Represent the interests of the customer Product Assurance organization within ODG project teams.
- Minimum of College Diploma or equivalent
- Bachelor’s Degree in a technical field or equivalent preferred
Other Education/Certification/Training preferred:
- Courses or certifications in a Quality discipline would be ideal.
- Metallurgical background or interest would be an asset.
Work Experience Requirements:
- Metallurgy knowledge, especially steels, interpretation of composition reports and microstructure images
- Must be very comfortable interpreting blueprints.
- Knowledge of the heat treatment and surface hardening of steels
- Understanding of gear geometry tables and gear inspection charts
- Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing philosophies and APQP, PPAP and FMEA is a bonus.
- Familiar with Mitutoyo CMM and the use of measuring devices.
- Use of hand measurement tools such as gauge blocks, micrometers, calipers, bore gauges and height gauges.
Familiarity with AutoCAD, Minitab, Syspro and uniPoint software tools
Other Job Requirements:
- Must demonstrate strong communication skills with all levels of management.
- Effectively meeting customer needs; building productive customer relationships; taking responsibility for
- Identifying and understanding issues, problems, and opportunities; comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints and probable consequences.
- Discretion and integrity are required in safeguarding confidential matters such as pricing, costing, customer business practices, product books, and corporate direction and policy.
Office and Laboratory environment limited physical demands. Physical activities of the job include:
- Occasionally, may need to lift heavy parts. (~50 lbs.).
- This position may require travel to customer or supplier locations.
Ontario Drive & Gear Limited is committed to complying with Employment Equity, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Human Rights Code throughout the entire employment cycle. If you require accommodation at any stage in the recruitment process, please let us know.
Committed to Employment Equity.